Men should have the same right to opine on gender issues as women. Having an identity doesn’t give you total authority over certain issues.
Source: Christian Alejandro Gonzalez, Rejecting the Left’s Conversation-Ending Identitarianism | The American Conservative
Agreed. And first principle.
But let’s open this up:
- Atheists and agnostics should have the same right to opine on religious issues as the faithful.
- All Americans should have the same right to opine on Veteran’s affairs as those who have served.
- All people should have the same right to opine on accessibility issues as do those with disabilities.
- People of all ethnic backgrounds – including those of us who find ourselves insensitively lumped into the derogatory catch-all category of “white” – should have the same right to opine on racial issues as do people of color.
- People of all sexual preferences – including monogamous heterosexuals – should have the same right to opine on sexuality as those identifying themselves as lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgendered, queer, asexual, or polyamorous.
- People of any one culture should have the same right to experience and adopt aspects of any other culture as those who are born into or who have hereditary ties to that culture.
The minute you start quashing debate about any of these issues, you have killed democracy and ended the American experiment. That’s a line we cannot afford to cross, even at the cost of causing offense and even hurt feelings.